Monday 6 July 2009

Goodbye Ernest


For my first ever entry, I thought it would be appropriate to acknowledge one of my two predecessors at St. Andrew's, Rev Ernest Brittain. We held a service of thanksgiving for his long life on Saturday 4th July which I felt privileged to lead. Ernest ministered in the city first at Trinity Church in Priestgate and then in the congregation's new home in Netherton for a total of thirty years before his retirement in 1982. The St. Andrew's buildings on Ledbury Road stand as a fine memorial to his ministry.
It was good to celebrate his varied work in and around the city, and as I commented in the address, give thanks for the fruits of his labours. The gospel text we used, John 15: 12-17, was also used at my ordination which took place in St. Andrew's in Septemebr 1996. So this is my first connection - a reading which is equally appropriate at the end of a ministry as at the start.
The Peterborough Evening Telegraph kindly printed a story last week which encouraged those who remembered Ernest to attend the service, and they sent a photographer to record the event. I hope to contribute to the follow up report.
In the meantime, thank you Ernest for all the fruits of your life and ministry.

No comments:

Post a Comment